Retro Commander from developer Noble Grasp is a free to play RTS that simply landed on Steam in Early Entry, and to date it appears to be fairly nice and fills me up with nostalgia. Rising up with the likes of Dune 2, Whole Annihilation, Purple Alert I am at all times looking out for brand new classic-styled base-building technique video games like this. To date, it looks as if Retro Commander would possibly hit the mark.
The developer explains that the main focus is on two components: a enjoyable single-player that comprises each a narrative marketing campaign and skirmish battles, together with equally enjoyable on-line multiplayer. The web expertise additionally function cross-platform play and a rating system.
As it is a free to play sport, it does supply micro-transactions and the free model is fairly restricted with a $9.99 price to unlock all of the maps. For such a technique sport, the value appears cheap and it is fascinating to see extra builders take a look at out this hybrid mannequin of letting folks in to play with no time restriction to check after which pay in the event that they prefer it.
On the subject of the gameplay, it appears like a wierd combine between the traditional Purple Alert and Supreme Commander. You get the retro-style with a reasonably pleasing look after which the candy tactical zoom to get a straightforward look at what is going on on. Feels quite a bit like a extra polished and coherently styled model of Rusted Warfare, one other nice 2D RTS.
- Put up-Apocalyptic: Actual-time technique (RTS) performed in a post-apocalyptic timeline on Mom Earth. The setting consists of day-night cycles, rain, snow, wind and photo voltaic flare exercise.
- Story Marketing campaign: Deep marketing campaign and story line of humanity after a cataclysmic occasion. Factions include their very own specialised applied sciences equivalent to stealth, robots, drones or shields.
- Single & Multiplayer: A difficult AI for each single and multiplayer matches with co-op play. Cross-platform multiplayer together with LAN/web. ONLINE play comes with an award and score system.
- Play Modes: Along with common skirmish matches, the sport helps missions equivalent to elimination, survival, seize the flag, protection and battle royale. Accessible in each single and multiplayer are also escort and rescue missions.
- Constructions & Troops: Widespread troops for land, sea and air warfare is obtainable to all factions. Specialised parts equivalent to stealth, shields, EMP weapons, nukes, portals, orbital weapons, assimilator and different troops and buildings present for extra selection.
- Modding: A map editor is included permitting for player-modded maps together with player-modded campaigns. All parts together with troops, buildings, in addition to graphics and sound results, will be modded if desired.
In the course of the course of Early Entry the developer plans to complete the marketing campaign, enhance the AI and add extra maps. They estimate it’ll stay in Early Entry for 4-12 months.
You’ll be able to seize it from Steam and itch.io.